High School Completion Grants
High School Completion grants are awarded on an annual basis to out-of-school time programs that provide academic, recreational and cultural activities to keep youth in school.
In 2011, the Area Foundation launched the High School Completion initiative. Since inception, we have awarded $2.8 million to nonprofits providing out-of-school time programs to Bexar County students in third through ninth grades.
The current application process will close Friday, March 10, 2017. Congratulations to the 2016 High School Completion grantees. For 2016, the Area Foundation awarded 18 grants totaling $1.3 million.
What We Fund:
- Grants to 501(c)(3) public charities in Bexar County that provide out-of-school-time (OST) activities for students in third through ninth grades. An OST program provides academic, recreational and/or cultural activities for students after school on school days, on weekends, school holidays, Spring Break and during the summer break.
- Organizations that provide evidence that students improve in the areas of school attendance, academic performance, and/or behavior.
- Organizations that provide opportunities for students to engage in leadership activities and/or families to participate in the program.
- Organizations that have a relationship with a public or charter school in Bexar County.
- Organizations that provide a letter of support signed by a teacher, counselor or administrator that refers to the project described in the application and describe its impact on students’ school attendance, behavior in school and/or academic performance.
We highly recommend that you request the letter of support right away so that you receive it before the grant deadline.