High School Completion Grant Process and Guidelines
The San Antonio Area Foundation is committed to helping increase the number of students graduating from high school through our High School Completion grant application. The application process for 2013 is now closed. The application process for 2014 will begin in June 2014.
What we fund:
- Grants to 501(c)(3) public charities in Bexar County that provide out-of-school-time activities for students in grades 6-9
- Organizations that provide evidence that students improve in the areas of school attendance, academic performance and/or behavior
- Organizations that provide opportunities for students to engage in leadership activities and/or families to participate in the program
- Organizations that have a relationship with a public school in Bexar County
- Organizations that provide a letter of support signed by a teacher, counselor or administrator that refers to the project described in the application and describe its impact on students’ school attendance, behavior in school and/or academic performance.
Applications are evaluated on the following:
- Strength of organization (e.g., management, staffing, board involvement, etc.)
- Approach to issue (e.g., project description, relationship with school, etc.)
- Compliance with funding priorities
- Ability to complete project and meet goals
- Effectiveness of evaluation (e.g. type of data collected impact on participants).
- Financial strength of organization
- Overall strength of application.
What we do not Fund:
- Debt reduction
- Operating deficits
- Indirect costs
- Scholarships for colleges and universities
- Capital campaigns
- Political activities, organizations, or lobbying efforts intended to influence legislation.
- Grants are awarded on an annual basis. The application process for 2013 is now closed. The application process for 2014 will begin in June 2014.
- All grant seekers must create an account to access the online application. Please click here to create your account. You will receive an email confirming you have created an account.
- Each organization may submit only one application per deadline.
- Applications must be submitted electronically. Any application sent to an individual staff member of the Area Foundation cannot be accepted. We will not accept emails, faxes or hard copies.
- Complete applications must be submitted by the deadline. Any application that is received after that time or is incomplete will not be eligible for funding.
- There are two phases of review. Applications that do not make it through the first phase will be notified in early September. Applicants that remain in the process will be notified of grant awards in mid-November.
- When you have submitted your application, you will receive an automated response stating the Area Foundation has received your application. If you do not receive an automated response after submitting, please contact Gavin Nichols at 210.242.4720.
Applications are reviewed by the High School Completion Community Advisory Committee, a diverse group of community volunteers with expertise and knowledge concerning the educational needs of our community.
For more information, contact Gavin Nichols at 210.242.4720.