Strengthening Nonprofits Process and Guidelines
The Strengthening Nonprofits grant application process is open year-round,
with two deadlines in 2014: March 3 and September 15.
Nonprofit agencies are on the front lines providing for the needs of the members of our community. A healthy, vibrant nonprofit sector is critical to the health and vitality of our community.
The San Antonio Area Foundation demonstrated its interest and commitment to strengthening the nonprofit community when we developed the Nonprofit Support Services department of the Area Foundation in 2010. Since that time, we participated in a strategic planning process to determine how best to use our discretionary dollars to maximize our impact in the community. As part of this effort, we engaged in conversations with community leaders. Based on their feedback and national best practices research, we decided to use a portion of our discretionary dollars for strengthening nonprofits.
For this reason, the Area Foundation awards grants that build the organizational capacity of nonprofit agencies and help them better fulfill their missions and serve their clients.
Through the Strengthening Nonprofits initiative, the San Antonio Area Foundation makes grants to strengthen nonprofit organizations in Bexar County and surrounding counties. These grants support a number of activities that strengthen and improve organizational efficiency and effectiveness.
We provide assistance to nonprofits in two phases:
- Nonprofit agencies may submit an Organizational Assessment Phase I grant to apply for funding to conduct the Core Capacity Assessment Tool (CCAT), an on-line assessment tool that enables agencies to identify strengths and deficiencies.
- Second, nonprofit agencies that conduct the organizational assessment will convene their Board of Directors and staff members to develop a plan for strengthening their agency that aligns with the assessment results, which forms the basis for a funding request. Nonprofit agencies may then apply for a Strengthening Nonprofits Phase II grant to implement the project.
Funding areas: Funding is available for consulting services, coaching, management assistance, peer learning, learning communities, professional development, sabbaticals, training programs or workshops.
You may access, save and complete your application at anytime. Applications are accepted year round with two deadlines in 2014.
Notification of Funding
March 3, 2014
Week of May 19, 2014
September 15, 2014
Week of December 8, 2014
- Strength of organization (e.g., management, staffing, board involvement, etc.)
- Organization’s understanding of its needs (e.g., needs well-articulated and proposed project consistent with CCAT results)
- Strength and viability of proposed project (activities, timeline and budget are well thought out, board and staff are qualified)
- Strength of proposed project’s benefits and plan to measure effectiveness (project’s benefit and plan for measuring effectiveness is sufficient)
- Financial strength of organization
- Overall strength of application
What We Do Not Fund:
- Current operating budget
- Programs or direct service delivery
- Computer hardware
- Capital projects
- All grant seekers must create a new account to access the online application.
- Each organization may submit only one application.
- Applications must be submitted electronically. Any application sent to an individual staff member of the Area Foundation cannot be accepted. No faxes or hard copies will be accepted.
- Complete applications must be submitted by the deadline. Applications received after the deadline will be held and considered in the next grant cycle. Incomplete applications will not be eligible for funding.
- When you have submitted your application, you will receive an automated response stating the Area Foundation has received your application. If you do not receive an automated response in the form of an email immediately after submitting, please contact Sandie Palomo-Gonzalez at 210.242.4730.
Contact: For more information, contact Sandie Palomo-Gonzalez at 210.242.4730 or Program Assistant Mildred Morales at 210.242.4721.